Needham Market Neighbourhood Plan
The Needham Market Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) has been prepared by Needham Market Town Council and local community and will be used to help guide and shape future development in the parish.
Reg 20 Formal Adoption (2 March 2022)
In an ‘out of meeting’ decision taken on Wednesday 2 March 2022, Mid Suffolk District Council agreed to adopt ('make') the Needham Market NDP.
This NDP now forms part of the development plan and will be used to help decide planning applications in the parish, unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Read the adopted version of the Needham Market NDP
- Read the adoption Decision Statement
- Read the Action out of Meeting request
Local referendum (24 Feb 2022) - a majority 'Yes' vote
A local referendum was held on 24 February 2022 to decide if the Needham Market NDP should become part of the Council’s development plan. The count took place the following day.
The question asked was 'Do you want Mid Suffolk District Council to use the Neighbourhood Plan for Needham Market to help it decide planning applications in the Neighbourhood Plan Area?'
Reg 18 Decision Statement (20 July 2021)
On 5 July 2021, Mid Suffolk cabinet committee agreed that, subject to modification, the Needham Market NDP should proceed to a local referendum.
Reg 17 Independent Examination (final report 24 May 2021)
Mid Suffolk District Council appointed Ann Skippers BSc (Hons) MRTPI FHEA FRSA AoU to carry out an independent examination of the Needham Market NDP. The examination was conducted through written correspondence.
On 24 May 2021, the examiner issued her final report. It recommends that, subject to modification, the NDP meets the basic conditions and should proceed to a local referendum.
Planning practice guidance also provides advice on the weight to be attached to this post-examination plan.
Reg 16 Submission Consultation (2 December 2020 - 27 January 2021)
The district council carried out formal consultation on the submitted Needham Market NDP, to see if it fulfils the Basic Conditions set out in the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.
The consultation was carried out in accordance with Regulation 16 of the Neighbourhood Planning Regulations 2012 (as amended). The consultation period ran from 2 December 2020 to 27 January 2021.
The town council (the qualifying body) had formally submitted the following documents:
- A map identifying the proposed NDP area
- The submission draft Needham Market NDP
- A consultation statement
- A Basic Conditions statement
- A copy of the strategic environmental assessment (SEA) determination notice
- A copy of the habitats regulations assessment (HRA) determination notice
- As supporting evidence, a development framework and design guidelines document
An assessment as to whether this NDP fulfils the basic conditions will be carried out by an independent examiner. An initial check was carried out to confirm that the relevant requirements had been met at this stage. View the Reg 15 Checklist
Respondents were also reminded that their comments would be forwarded to the independent examiner and (with the exception of personal details) published on this website.
SEA/HRA Screening and Determination (May 2020)
The pre-submission draft NDP was screened to decide whether an SEA and/or an HRA were needed. Both were 'screened-out'. The relevant reports and determination notices, which confirm that the plan is unlikely to have significant environmental effects, are published below:
- Read the Needham Market NDP SEA screening report (LUC, Feb 2020)
- Read the Needham Market NDP SEA determination notice (May 2020)
- Read the Needham Market NDP HRA screening report (Place Services, Mar 2020)
- Read the Needham Market NDP HRA determination notice (May 2020)
Reg 14 Pre-submission Consultation (27 January - 10 March 2020)
- Visit the town council's website for more information