Home cake-making businesses

Our cake makers and home caterers guidance is intended for anyone who runs a low-risk food business from home making cakes, biscuits, traybakes etc. This may include preparing food to sell in shops and markets or selling direct to members of the public. 

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) have produced guidance on Starting a food business from home which can be read in conjunction with the information given here.

You should also take the following into consideration before you start your business:

Planning permission

You may need planning permission to run a business from home, so take advice from our Planning department.

Business rates

You may have to pay increased rates if you use part of your property for a business. More advice on business rates.


Just in case things go wrong, we strongly recommend that you take out insurance to cover claims against you (third party insurance) in the same way as any other business. You should consult your solicitor or insurance broker about this.

Restrictive covenants

Especially in older properties, you may find that the deeds contain clauses that prevent you from carrying out certain activities and running a food business may be one of them. You should consult your solicitor about this.

Mortgage restrictions

If you have a mortgage on your property you must contact your lender and talk to them about your intentions. If you rent your property, you should consult your landlord.

Waste removal

If your business generates significant amounts of waste, you may need to arrange a trade waste contract. More information about commercial waste.