What are Building Regulations and why do I need to apply?

The Building Regulations help ensure that new buildings, conversions, renovations and extensions achieve minimum standards and are going to be safe, healthy and energy efficient. A surveyor will check your plans (if submitted) for compliance, will visit your project at certain stages of the works and issue a Completion Certificate on satisfactory completion of works.

Do I need to apply for Building Regulations for my project?

You are legally obliged to apply for Building Regulations for certain works. For information on the types of works that require an application visit LABC Front Door - Projects, or contact us

How do I make a Building Regulation application?

Before you make a building control application, please ensure you have received a quote from us for the application fee. A quotation can be requested via our online fee quotation form. Your Building regulation application can be submitted online, via email or post. If you have any difficulties, please contact us.

Which type of Building Regulation application should I apply for?

A Building Control Application With Full Plans can be used for all types of building works.  
A Building Notice application is generally used for smaller straight forward residential projects.
A Regularisation application may be applied for if the works have already been completed.
A Reversion application may be suitable where your application was originally dealt with by an Approved Inspector.

Please see application types for full details.

How can I request a quote for a Building Regulation application?

A quotation can be requested via our online fee quotation form.

How can I pay for my application?

Payment for a new application can be made during the online application process.

If you have received an email requesting payment, or you are paying for copies of documents, please pay online and follow the instructions on the request for payment. 

A formal Invoice can be paid at Sundry Invoice Payments.

How do I book a site inspection?

You can contact us on our dedicated inspection request line 01449 724512 or request an inspection via the LABC app.

Where notice is received before 16:00, an inspection, in the majority of cases, can be carried out the next weekday. We may require more notice for completion inspections or inspections for historic applications.

How can I find the current status of an application?

You can check Decision dates (these only apply to Full Plans applications), Completion dates and the general status of applications deposited after 2000, via Building control records online.

How can I get my application signed off?

You will need to request a completion inspection. Where the works have not been inspected for some time, we may need to retrieve the file from our archive which could require additional fees to be paid.  We ask that you give at least 7 day’s notice for a completion inspection, although we can often arrange a visit sooner than the 7 days.

How can I find building regulation applications made on a property?

You can search Building control records online for both Building Control and Planning applications.

How can I obtain a copy of my Decision Notice or Completion Certificate?

Recent Decision Notices and Completion Certificates are available to download free from Building control records online.  

Babergh DC documents are available for applications deposited from January 2007, Mid Suffolk DC documents are available for applications deposited from June 2017.

If your certificate is not available online, please contact us. We can usually provide a copy of certificates for applications completed up to 15 years ago if one was originally issued. There will be a charge of £10 per copy or, £40 if we need to retrieve the file from archive, plus £10 per copy.

How can I obtain a copy of certificates from an Approved Inspector (AI) or Competent Person Scheme (CPS)?

We do not hold or issue certification for these types of application. Where the Building Regulations were carried out by an AI (our reference will contain IN or AI) you should contact the AI to request copies of certificates. Where the Building Regulations were covered under a CPS (e.g. APHC, CIGA, ELECSA, FENSA, GASAFE, HETAS, NAPIT, NICEIC, OFTEC, STROMA, VEKA) you should contact the relevant Competent Person scheme to request copies of certificates.

Can I request copies of plans or structural engineers reports?

The original Architect/Engineer holds the copyright to the plans/reports, therefore we would suggest you contact them direct for any copies. We can only release copies of documents if we have permission from the copyright owner, there will be a charge for any copies provided. We do not hold documents on applications completed over 15 years and we do not hold official drainage plans.