We are supporting communities as they look to recover from the impacts of Storm Babet. As our teams are out and about within the district, it is important to make us aware of any issues which are a cause for concern. If you are seeking assistance, please access our useful information for those affected by Storm Babet.

How to prepare for a flood

To protect yourself from future flooding, you can:

You can email floods@suffolk.gov.uk to enquire about your property's flood risk.

Suffolk County Council have published flood preparation information, which was created by the Suffolk Flood Risk Management Partnership.

The government have also published flooding and flood preparation information.

The Suffolk Resilience Forum have published six things you can do to prepare for an emergency.

What to do during - and immediately following - a flood

Report a flood

You can report a flood via Suffolk County Council's website:

Report a flood in Suffolk


Local authorities in Suffolk don't provide sandbags for individual properties. Instead, we try to use these limited resources in bulk - to raise and repair defences, or divert water away from groups of properties.

Water can enter properties through many routes (not just doorways). Sandbags can also be challenging to dispose of after use, as they are heavy and likely to be contaminated.

If you feel it's appropriate to use flood protection products, please access the National Flooding Forum's Blue Pages.

Immediately after flooding

You need to:

  • check with emergency services whether it's safe to return to your property
  • switch off your water, gas and electricity. Get your utilities company - or a qualified engineer - to check whether they safe to turn back on

The government have published guidance about what to do after a flood, and Suffolk County Council have published flood recovery information for Suffolk

Housing needs

Our housing solutions team can support you with temporary accommodation following the recent floods. Please note, residents and landlords should contact their insurance company in the first instance as they should be able to make arrangements on your behalf. Please only contact us if your insurance company is unable to arrange or provide emergency accommodation.

Social care

If you have an enquiry regarding adult social care, please contact Customer First (who work on behalf of Suffolk County Council).

What to do after a flood

Flood clean up support

We’re working hard to help communities clean up following the flooding  and are clearing away items damaged by floodwater, and cleaning streets in the impacted areas.

If your home was recently flooded, we may be able to support with collecting items that have been damaged or broken. If you need this support, please fill in the below form.

Flood item collection service

If you are not able to access online services contact 0300 1234 000 (option 7) or visit us at a customer access point and we can complete this on your behalf. 

Please note, before disposing of any flood damaged items: 

  • Please speak to your insurance company first.
  • Flood water is likely to be contaminated, always wear waterproof gloves and clothing when disposing of flood damaged items
  • Residents are asked to leave any flood damaged items outside their property so these can be identified by the collection crews.

Flooding insurance advice

Contact your insurer if you've been affected by flooding.

Read advice for those recovering from floods from the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance industry initiative which aims to help insurers help householders at risk of flooding.

Citizens Advice can also provide help and assistance with queries related to financial support and have useful guidance on making a claim on your insurance policy. 

Choosing trustworthy traders

Read the following advice before choosing a trader to carry out repairs after flooding:

Flood safety and public health

 The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) provides a range of information related to flooding, this includes:

When cleaning after floods:

  • wear rubber boots, waterproof gloves and an apron
  • wear a standard face mask and goggles (such as those sold by DIY stores) to protect yourself from water splashes caused by scrubbing, hosing or pressure-washing
  • wash your hands thoroughly after each clean-up session
  • keep open cuts or sores clean, and use waterproof plasters to prevent them being exposed to floodwater

Travel advice after flooding 

Residents are urged to travel with caution after a flood.

For more information about how to drive through floodwater, visit the AA website.

Support for businesses 

Read advice for businesses impacted by flooding from the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

The Food Standards Agency have also produced guidance on what to do after a flood. 

You can also contact our economic development team if you have enquiries regarding support for businesses following a flood. Please use the drop down menu and select economic development. 

If your premises are affected by local disruption

You may get a temporary reduction in your business rates if your premises are affected by severe local disruption (like flooding, or nearby building work or roadworks).

Tell the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) if you think a local disruption has affected the value of your property. Use your business rates valuation account to tell them.

The VOA will decide if you can get a temporary reduction in your business rates.

Mental health support 

Find support and advice about mental health and wellbeing, including local organisations, support groups and information.

You can also contact Samaritans.

You can also contact the National Flood Forum - a charity to help, support and represent people at risk of flooding.

Other useful numbers

Powercut - call 105 or go to www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut

Damaged power lines – please stay away and call 105. If there is an immediate risk to safety, please also call 999.

Fallen or overhanging trees – if there is an immediate danger, please call Suffolk Highways on 0345 606 6171. If not, you can report fallen trees or debris on the road at https://highwaysreporting.suffolk.gov.uk

For updates on the Orwell Bridge, please go to www.trafficengland.com or www.twitter.com/highwayseast

If your water supply has been affected, please call Essex & Suffolk Water on 0345 782 0999.

If your property has been affected by sewage flooding or there is a sewerage issue, please report to Anglian Water or call their 24-hour emergency number: 03457 145 145

Floodline Telephone: 0345 988 1188. 

Dangerous structures call 0300 1234 000 option 5 or out of hours call 0808 168 7794