Energy assessments in new dwellings

All new dwellings in the UK must achieve minimum energy performance standards. To demonstrate compliance with the Building Regulations all new dwellings must be accompanied by an Energy Assessment and an Energy Performance Certificate

Babergh and Mid Suffolk Building Control are able to produce Energy Assessments and Energy Performance Certificates for new dwellings, please see below for more information or contact us.

Energy Assessment

The Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) is the Government approved method of assessing and calculating how much energy a dwelling is likely to consume.

The assessment is produced in two stages; 

  • Design stage – calculating the energy rating of the dwelling based on the proposed plans. This should be submitted at the same time as the building regulation application.
  • As built stage – calculating the energy rating of the completed dwelling, taking into consideration any changes that may have been made from the original design. This must be submitted before a Building Regulation Completion Certificate can be issued.

Energy Performance Certificate

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a separate document that shows the energy rating of the dwelling and the calculated CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emissions of that dwelling. 

The EPC is required before a building regulation completion certificate can be produced and legally should be submitted within 5 days of practical completion of the dwelling.

Who can produce Energy assessments and Energy Performance Certificates?

A qualified Energy Assessor can usually produce both the SAP assessment and the Energy Performance Certificate.

Both Babergh and Mid Suffolk have qualified Energy Assessors who will usually be able to help you with your requirements for developments in and out of the Babergh and Mid Suffolk area.

The application process and charges

Please contact us for a quote. Once the quote has been accepted and instruction received, we will begin creating your assessment. 

The cost of producing an Energy Assessment and Energy Performance Certificate will vary depending upon the complexity of the proposed building. 

My dwelling is completed, what do I do?

If you are using our services for the supply of the Assessment and Energy Performance Certificate, please complete the as built details form below, so that we can produce the ‘As Built’ Assessment and the Certificate or contact us for more information.

As Built Details Form (PDF format)
As Built Details Form (Word format)

If you are not using us please contact your chosen energy assessor to obtain your assessment and EPC.

Contact us:

Email Building Control
Phone 01449 724510